It's time to get ready for SMX West 2016! This year's event is fast approaching and ConventionNation has the social media buzz you need to hear to prepare! If you missed our posts in the last two weeks, we covered our favorite speakers at SMX West, so be sure to check those out as well.
THE SMX WEST SOCIAL BUZZ:
The Janes of Digital panel is a brilliant group of women who work in the digital space and are holding a networking event to discuss equality of women in technology. It is a casual evening intended to bring together women to discuss the issues they confront working in the tech industry.
This evening includes a Panel Discussion sandwiched between cocktails and networking for a more intense discussion. The topic covers the “International Women’s Day: The Pledge for Parity” discussion. This evening received great feedback last year at SMX 2015. It is free to SMX 2016 attendees who register to attend, and is sure to provide women with a collaborative environment and great networking with other tech industry women.
Google Dance is the other hot topic trending on #SMX social media. This is also a repeat activity for SMX West, and is a crowd favorite. The highlight of this event is that it takes place at Google’s Mountain View, CA headquarters. Transportation is provided from the SMX venue to Google for the first 500 All Access pass holders that register.
This event is a homage to where search marketing began. It is historically a great evening of networking, speakers, and shenanigans at the Google headquarters. There are Google executives in attendance to learn from and rub elbows with, along with activities, food, drinks, and networking. If the night gets wild enough, there also may acutally be dancing going on at the #GoogleDance.
TWEET-WORTHY TIPS FOR SMX WEST:
We’ve gathered up our favorite conference attendee tips from around social media just in time to get ready for SMX West. You won’t want to miss these, as they are sure to make your event the best experience it can be!
Conference Tips BEFORE the Event:
- @staycitysa: #CONFERENCETIPS: Book your accommodation early to get the best choice.
- @Amanda_Works: Set networking #goals for yourself at @SaaStrAnnual says @Menaka conferencetips #SaaStrAnnual
- @AAAStudents: For the social media inclined, an emergency phone charger is essential; never enough power points. #AAA37 #conferencetips
- @KinneretK: #ConferenceTips: Know your @ handles and # hastags. Apologies - I used @EdCCom when I meant @aam_EdCom all day.
- @staycitysa: #ConferenceTips: Make sure the pre-conference sessions you wish to attend do not have timing conflicts.
- @ConventioNation: Make sure you travel with your essentials like computers/posters in your carry-on luggage.
Conference Tips DURING the Event:
- @drydenbks: @SCBWI #conferencetips: Say hello to at least five people you don't know. Make new friends and contacts. Be brave! This is YOUR conference.
- @hrtechgroup: What time is it? Lunch time! Fuel up and stand up! Don't forget to stretch and stay hydrated. #conferencetips #HRTG15
- @MlleStrong: Keep biz cards in the lanyard for ease of access; mine are outside/back, connections are inside. #LPT #ConferenceTips
- @RobbieMitch: "Chat between sessions, exchange cards and follow up with email next day" Zee Upton #talkingscientists #conferencetips #networking
- @DiandraMae: @scbwi @pinocastellano I always like to create a custom nametag & put my Twitter avatar & handle on it for easy recognition. #conferencetips
- @Laserchuck: Panel questions should directly relate to the topic being discussed.
- @ShropsConf: TOP TIPS: When you are at a conference make sure you build in time for networking over a coffee #CoffeeBreak #Networking #ConferenceTips
- @ConventioNation: Don’t try to attend talks all day long or you'll burn out! 2-3 talks in a row may benefit you most.
Conference Tips AFTER the Event:
- @AngelaCaban: Post conference week is critical! Don't let too much time pass before connecting with others, do not be forgotten. #conferencetips
- @GofortheGreens: Use #LinkedIn to connect post conference to build & maintain your network! http://twitter.com/VivoTeams/status/626523999053475844 … #ConferenceTips #GFTGconf
- @ConventioNation: Distill 1 key takeaway from every talk you attend #conferencetips
This post concludes our series on SMX 2016 West! We hope you have a lot of fun, learn something new, and make some great connections at SMX! If you missed it, take a look at our SMX Speaker Previews to make sure you've got some of our favorites on your agenda, and make the most of the event in San Jose!